e-Learning Guide - Emotional Well-Being Through the Holidays
The weather's cooling down, and the holidays are on everyone's mind. This e-Learning Guide provides tips and resources for ensuring emotional well-being with pulmonary hypertension (PH) throughout the holidays.
Identifying and Seeking Treatment for Depression
PH can put you through challenges that may put you at an increased risk of depression. However, this is manageable. Understand depression and PH, and learn how to move forward in this article.
Need Help Coping?
While everyone has "blue" days, it's important to realize that many PH patients today are living long and active lives - and that you can, too! By reading our coping guides, you will learn how to live and deal with those down times. Learn more about our Coping Guides today. If you're newly diagnosed, you can learn what to expect and how to move forward.
Read a Patient Story
You're not alone. Read another patient's story of thankfulness and hope in this article.
Holiday Health and Happiness: Ways to Keep the Holidays Special
- Cut down on the details to save time and energy: Try using mixes or prepared crusts for holiday treats to save time AND clean-up!
- Work gradually to make the holiday relaxing:
- Shop early to avoid crowds.
- Buy gifts online and have purchases delivered to your home.
- Delegate work to others: Family members can help prepare meals and decorations.
- Exercise or go for a walk to relieve stress.
- Learn the word no: Just because someone invites you to something or asks for help doesn't mean you have to say yes.
- Volunteer your time: It's a good pick-me-up, and everyone can always use an extra pair of hands!
- Keep on eating healthy, even during the holidays. It could help keep you happy and in control:
- Eat before a party to control the amount of sodium and fluid in food you didn't make yourself.
- Keep a food journal.
- When there is extra food around, try to keep busy. Many people start eating high salt snacks when they are bored. Control your portions. Don't let 10 months of eating well get spoiled by two months of party food.
- Weigh yourself daily to keep your health under control.
- Read more tips for healthy eating in this Pathlight article, "Sodium and Fluid Restriction: Eating Right During the Holidays."
For more tips, read this guide!
December 1, 2014